4 - 6
- 2 stalks lemongrass, bulbous ends only, chopped
- 2 red chillies, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 Tbsp fish sauce
- 2 Tbsp Japanese soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 6 (about 650g) 2cm-thick venison steaks, cut into 3cm pieces
- 1 Tbsp caster sugar
- 1 spring onion, ends trimmed, thinly sliced
- 250g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 100g glass noodles, blanched in boiling water until transparent, cooled and stored in a large bowl of cold water
- 1/2 cup unsalted roasted peanuts, crushed or chopped coarsely
- lime halves and coriander sprigs, for serving
Suggested wine match - 2013 Equinox Waipara Valley Pinot Gris
Put the lemongrass, chillies, garlic, fish sauce, soy sauce, pepper, cornflour and oil into a blender and blend until smooth. This is the marinade.
Put the venison in a large bowl and add the marinade. Mix well and marinate 1 hour.
Put the tomatoes and the cold, well-drained noodles on a large serving platter.
Heat a frying pan until hot but not smoking and quickly fry the pieces of venison until browned but rare. Sprinkle the sugar over the venison and cook, turning frequently, until well browned.
Remove venison from the heat and place on top of the noodles and tomatoes. Sprinkle the spring onion and peanuts over everything and serve with coriander sprigs and lime halves for squeezing.