Vanilla 'Ice Cream'
- 5 large ripe bananas, chopped, frozen
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste (or if you're feeling more extravagant, seeds of 1 vanilla bean pod) 1/3 cup cream (or coconut cream DF)
- 1 egg white
Date Caramel Sauce
- 1/2 cup dried baking dates (or 1/3 cup Medjool dates)
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp pure maple syrup (optional, if you want a sweeter caramel sauce)
- ¼–½ cup milk, eg. cow’s or almond or coconut milk DF)
- toasted flaked almonds
- toasted shredded coconut
For the ‘ice cream’, place frozen bananas, vanilla and cream/coconut cream in a food processor and blitz until thick, smooth and creamy, like ice-cream – this will probably take a couple of minutes. Scrape down the sides of the food processor as needed to make sure everything gets well blended.
Add egg white and continue blitzing for another 30-60 seconds – the mixture will become even more light and fluffy. Scoop out into a container and freeze until ready to use (it is best to use it within 4–6 hours of being frozen).
For the date caramel sauce, place dates and water in a small pot and bring to the boil. Simmer for a few minutes until dates are soft. Use a stick blender to blend until smooth (alternatively, place in a blender to blend). Add cinnamon, maple syrup (if using) and enough milk/coconut milk to blend until the consistency of caramel sauce. Leave in the fridge to cool completely before serving with ice cream.
To serve, scoop 2 scoops of ice cream into a bowl or cone and drizzle over date caramel sauce. Scatter with almonds and coconut. Dig in!