10 - 12
- 200g plain unsweetened yoghurt
- 1/4 cup (50g) instant polenta
- finely grated zest of 1 orange
- 85g butter, softened
- 2/3 cup (140g) caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup (105g) gluten-free flour baking mix (or plain flour, as desired)
- 1 tsp gluten-free baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped raisins
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped pistachio nuts, almonds or walnuts
- 1 1/2 cups (375ml) orange juice
- 3/4 cup (150g) white sugar
- juice of 1 lemon
Suggested wine match - 2013 Waipara Hills Waipara Chardonnay.
Place yoghurt, polenta and orange zest in a bowl and stir to combine. Cover and leave to stand for 2 hours for polenta to soften.
Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-bake). Heavily grease 10 individual 150ml capacity cake tins or 12 standard muffin holes.
Place butter and sugar in a bowl and beat until pale and creamy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Stir in polenta and yoghurt mixture.
Sift flour, baking powder and baking soda over the creamed mixture and stir to combine. Stir in raisins and nuts.
Spoon mixture into prepared cake tins, dividing evenly, to fill by two-thirds, and smooth the surface.
Bake for 18-20 minutes or until cakes test cooked when an inserted skewer comes out clean. Remove to cool a little in cake tins before inverting onto a serving plate.
To make Orange syrup, place orange juice and sugar in a pan. Bring to the boil, stirring, until sugar dissolves.
Simmer for 3-4 minutes or until slightly reduced and syrupy. Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice. Pour hot syrup over cold cakes.