- 10 cloves garlic, peeled
- 4 large red chillies, stems off, roughly chopped
- 100g fresh ginger, peeled, roughly chopped
- 40g galangal, peeled, roughly chopped
- 1 red beetroot, peeled, sliced
- 10 lime leaves, central vein removed
- 3 lemon grass stems, remove the 2 outside leaves then finely slice the inside
- 1 bunch coriander, washed, coarsely shredded
- 120g caster sugar
- 50ml cider vinegar
- 50ml Thai fish sauce
- 50ml soy sauce
This makes much more than you need, you can keep the remainder in the fridge. Alternatively, buy my own brand sweet chilli sauce.
Put the first 8 ingredients in a food processor and purée to a coarse paste.
Caramelise the sugar in a heavy-based pot and cook until it has turned a dark caramel colour.
Stir in the paste and bring the sauce to the boil. Add the last 3 ingredients and bring the sauce back to the boil again. Simmer for 1 minute.
Pictured above with Peter's Grilled Scallops - see recipe here