- 4 tbsp sesame oil
- 4 tbsp light soy sauce (such as Kikkoman)
- 3 tbsp minced ginger
- 3 tbsp minced spring onions (white parts only, green parts reserved for garnish)
- 2 tbsp raw sugar or honey
- 1/2 small chilli, minced
- 1 kg salmon fillet, bones and skin removed
- 1 cucumber, mostly peeled, thinly sliced
- 1 ripe brown coconut, grated by hand
To make the dressing
Shake all ingredients in a jar and chill until needed.
For the salmon
Wrap in plastic wrap and place in the freezer for 1/2 an hour to make slicing easier.
Thinly slice the salmon and lay on a plate. Surround with cucumber slices. Dress the salmon generously with the poke dressing then sprinkle with coconut and finely sliced reserved green onions.
Wine match, 2015 Equinox Pinot Gris
Weighty and rich from the first sip followed by a fresh, clean finish.
The richness and natural oils in salmon compare beautifully with the palate weight and oiliness of the Equinox Pinot Gris. The barrel ferment characters marry nicely with the sesame oil.