- 3 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 packet mung beans
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup mint leaves, chopped
- 1 cup coriander (stalks reserved for dressing)
- 1/2 cucumber, halved, deseeded and sliced or peeled
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1.2 kg rump steak
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup crushed peanuts, to garnish
- 1/2 cup fresh mint
- coriander stalks (from salad)
- 1 chilli, roughly chopped
- 1 Tbsp fish sauce
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4cm ginger, peeled and chopped
- 2 Tbsp palm sugar (or castor sugar)
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 Tbsp sweet chilli sauce
Suggested wine match - 2014 Soul by Waipara Hills Waipara Valley Riesling
From The Food Show 2015.
To make the dressing, place all dressing ingredients in a small food processor and whizz until well combined. Taste and adjust seasoning using more fish sauce or lime juice if needed. Set aside.
For the salad, combine all salad ingredients in a large bowl. Spoon over 2 tbsp of the dressing.
Heat a heavy-bottomed fry pan until smoking. Add oil. Pat steak dry with paper towels and season generously with salt and pepper on both sides. Cook steak in batches for 2-3 minutes on each side. Remove from the pan, spoon over the dressing while steak rests for 5 minutes.
Slice steak into 1cm slices. Place salad on a long platter and arrange steak on top. Garnish with peanuts and enjoy.