- 1 tin Black Doris plums, drained
- 50g desiccated coconut
- finely grated zest and juice of 1 large lemon
- 175g caster sugar
- 175g butter, very soft but not melted
- 3 eggs
- 175g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- icing sugar, for dusting
- mascarpone, softly whipped cream or ice-cream
- purchased red fruit coulis
- 6-hole x 200ml capacity muffin tin, greased and bases lined with baking paper
Preheat the oven to 180°C.
Halve and pit the plums and place cut side down on kitchen towels to drain.
Put the coconut, lime zest and juice in a large bowl and rub together with your fingertips to infuse the flavours.
Add all the remaining ingredients and beat together gently until just combined. Take care not to over-beat or the result will be heavy cakes.
Place a spoonful of mixture in the base of the tins and place 1 plum half on top. Spoon over the remaining mixture and arrange 2 plum halves, cut side down, over the top.
Bake for 13-15 minutes or until the cakes have risen and are golden on top. Cool for at least 10 minutes before removing from the tins.
To serve - place the cakes on plates and dust with icing sugar. Top with a dollop of cream or a scoop of ice-cream and serve with a red fruit coulis.