15 - 20 minutes
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar, mixed
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- flesh of 1 green mango, shredded or cut into thin matchsticks
- 1 shallot, very finely sliced
- 1 carrot, peeled and shredded or cut into thin matchsticks
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1/4 cup Vietnamese mint leaves, finely sliced
- 1/2 cup mint leaves
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped coriander
- 1 large red chilli, finely sliced
- 1 Tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped roasted peanuts
- 2 Tbsp crispy fried shallots
Suggested wine match - 2013 Equinox Waipara Valley Riesling
In a bowl large enough to hold the mango, mix rice vinegar, water, sugar, salt and garlic together.
Add mango and shallot and toss with the pickling liquid. Leave for 2 minutes then drain, reserving pickling liquid.
Toss pickled mango and shallot with carrot, cabbage, herbs, chilli and sesame seeds.
Just before serving, toss with 3 - 4 Tbsp of pickling liquid.
Serve in a large serving bowl and sprinkle over peanuts and crispy fried shallots.