- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, coarsely diced
- 6 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp hot smoked paprika
- 1 tsp sweet smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 Tbsp dry sherry
- 1 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- 400g can whole peeled tomatoes, crushed
- salt to taste
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1kg baby Désirée potatoes, peeled and quartered lengthwise
- chervil or parsley to garnish
In a large saucepan, heat the oil and sauté the onion and garlic until soft and transparent. Add the smoked paprikas, cumin and cayenne, and continue to cook for a further minute, then stir in the sherry, vinegar and tomatoes. Bring to a simmer and reduce by a third.
Cool slightly, then purée in a food processor until smooth. Remove to a bowl, season with salt to taste then, when cold, combine with the mayonnaise.
Season potatoes with salt and steam or fry until cooked. Transfer to a bowl and fold in the desired amount of sauce. You may not need it all. Garnish with a sprinkling of paprika and chervil or parsley and serve.
Reprinted from Simon Gault Modern Classics, Penguin Group (NZ), new release September 2014. Text © Simon Gault, 2014.