- 250ml (1 cup) plain coconut yoghurt
- 250ml (1 cup) orange juice (ideally freshly squeezed)
- 70g (1 cup) shredded coconut
- 75g (½ cup) almonds, lightly toasted (see note), roughly chopped
- 75g (½ cup) hazelnuts, lightly toasted (see note), roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste/extract
- finely grated zest of ½ orange
- 2 apples, finely grated
- orange segments, extra
- coconut yoghurt, sliced
- apple + toasted nuts, to serve
Selaks Velvety Pinot Noir
This bircher muesli is the perfect make-ahead meal. It is a grain-free riff on the original recipe by Swiss physician and pioneer nutritionist, Maximilian Bircher-Benner. With the goodness of coconut yoghurt, protein-rich chia, toasted hazelnuts and orange, it’s packed full of flavour and is super-quick and easy to make. If you’re fine eating dairy, use thick plain yoghurt instead of coconut.
Combine coconut yoghurt and orange juice in a bowl. Add shredded coconut, almonds and hazelnuts (reserve a few for the top, if desired), chia seeds, vanilla and orange zest and mix well. Cover and place in the fridge for at least 4 hours, or preferably overnight.
To serve, stir through grated apple, spoon into bowls and top with orange segments, extra coconut yoghurt, sliced apple and reserved toasted nuts, if using. Without the apple added, the bircher muesli will store in the fridge up to 4 days.
Note: To toast nuts, spread onto a tray and cook in a preheated oven at 180°C (350°F) for 8–10 minutes, or until lightly browned. Rub the skins off the hazelnuts before roughly chopping.