- 4 x 180g salmon fillets, pin-boned
- salt and pepper
- 20ml olive oil
- 2 cups baby English spinach
- 1/2 small red onion, finely sliced
- 1 long red chilli, halved, seeds removed and sliced into fine strips
- 2 cups basil, picked and washed
- 2 cups coriander, picked and washed
- 1/4 cup mint, picked and washed
- 1/4 cup Vietnamese mint, picked and washed
- 1 cup white cabbage, finely sliced
- 1 cup spring onions, finely sliced
- 1/4 cup chives, finely sliced
- 1/2 cup deep-fried shallots
- 3/4 cup nahm jim
Nahm Jim (makes 3/4 cup)
- 1 fresh long red chilli, halved, seeds
- removed and roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 handful coriander, picked and washed
- 1/4 cup light palm sugar
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
Season salmon fillets with a little salt and pepper. Sear salmon skin-side down for 3 minutes in a very hot non-stick frying pan with 20ml olive oil. Reduce heat slightly, turn salmon over and cook for a further minute until medium-rare to medium. Remove from pan and rest.
Place salad ingredients and half the deep-fried shallots into a large bowl. Add 1/2 cup of nahm jim and gently toss together.
Divide salad between 4 plates and place salmon on top. Scatter with remaining deep-fried shallots and finish with extra nahm jim. Serve immediately.
To make nahm jim, place chilli, garlic, salt and coriander into a mortar and pestle and grind to a smooth paste. Add palm sugar and grind into the paste. Add lime juice and fish sauce and muddle together. Adjust with extra fish sauce to taste.