4 - 6
- 6 duck breasts, excess skin and fat removed, skin cut in a criss-cross patternalmost down to the flesh
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- juice of 2 lemons
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, diced 1cm
- 1 stick celery, thinly sliced
- zest of 2 lemons
- 10 fresh sage leaves
- ¾ cup pitted black olives
- 150mls dry white wine
- 250mls Essential Cuisine Classic Beef Jus
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
Put the duck breasts, garlic, juice of 1 lemon and oil into a bowl, season and mix well.
Heat a large frying pan over moderate heat and place the duck breasts in side by side, skin side down. Fry gently for 8 minutes until the skin is well browned. Turn over and fry 4 minutes.
Remove from the pan and rest in a warm place.
Pour off most of the fat from the pan and add the onion, carrot, celery, zest of 1 lemon, sage and olives. Fry gently until the onion is soft.
Add the wine and let it bubble for 30 seconds. Add the jus, bring to the boil and boil until slightly syrupy.
Add the peas, simmer for 3 minutes. Taste, season and add more lemon juice to taste.
Slice the duck in half diagonally and place on a warm serving platter. Spoon the olive and vegetable mixture on top and sprinkle with the remaining lemon zest.