- 6 - 8 potatoes cut lengthways into 6 pieces
- 2 brown onions, peeled and sliced roughly
- 1 free range chicken - spine removed, butterflied
- 3 lemons, cut into thin slices
- 2 Tbsp fresh thyme (or 1 Tbsp dried)
- 1 tsp salt
- olive oil
- 1 cup Selaks Reserve Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc
- ½ cup stock
A roast dinner in under an hour by Nici Wickes.
Wine Match: Selaks Reserve Hawke's Bay Chardonnay.
Pre-heat oven to 220 degrees Celsius.
Take a large roasting dish and scatter the potatoes and onion slices over the bottom.
Place butterflied chicken on top, drizzle in olive oil, sprinkle with salt and thyme. Scatter the lemon slices over the chicken and another splash of olive oil. Pour the wine and stock into the roasting dish.
Cover with a double layer of foil and roast for 45 minutes, uncovered for the last 10 minutes, until the chicken is golden brown and cooked through. The onions and lemons will have caramelized, the potatoes will be soft and the bottom of the roasting pan sticky and delicious with a lemony glaze.
Serve with a simple green salad.
Nici's top tips - For a healthier option, always trim excess fat from chickens when cooking the vegetables in the same roasting dish. By butterflying the chicken, you almost halve its cooking time.