- 100g dried thin egg noodles
- 100g rice vermicelli
- 1-2 chillies
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 thumb-sized piece fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 4-5 shallots
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp coriander seed
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 Tbsp shrimp oil (or ½ tsp shrimp paste)
- 2 Tbsp cooking oil
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 stalk lemongrass, smashed
- 2 chicken breast, skinned and boned, chopped
- 400ml coconut milk
- Salt, to season
- 8 prawns, shelled
- juice of 1 lime
- garnishes - mint leaves, bean sprouts
Boil egg noodles in salted water until tender, drain and set aside. Cook vermicelli by soaking in boiling water for 3-4 minutes. Drain and set aside.
Shell the prawns, reserving the heads and shells. Heat 2 Tbsp oil in a pan and fry the shells until crispy. Discard the shells and set aside the shrimp flavoured oil.
In a mortar and pestle, grind paste ingredients to smooth paste, adding the shrimp oil last.
Heat oil in a large pot and fry paste until fragrant and beginning to brown.
Add stock, lemongrass, chicken and coconut milk, bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
Add prawns and simmer until they, and the chicken, are cooked though.
Taste and add salt if required. Add lime juice.
Divide noodles and vermicelli evenly into 4 bowls. Spoon chicken and prawns into each then pour hot laksa broth over and garnish.