- 120g Thai palm sugar, grated
- Pinch salt
- 100ml water
- 2 tbsp tamarind paste (I used Patai Norasingh)
- Fresh fruit of your choice for 6, peeled where necessary, cut into bite-sized pieces (eg. pawpaw, oranges, melon, pineapple, banana, grapes, Nashi pears, pink grapefruit, mangoes)
- 1 kaffir lime leaf, very thinly sliced, central stalk discarded
- Mint leaves and coconut cream, for serving
Put the sugar, salt and water into a small saucepan and bring to the boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Remove from the heat. Cool and stir in the tamarind paste.
Put the fruit and kaffir lime leaf into a bowl and add the tamarind mixture. Mix well.
Serve in glasses or bowls with mint leaves sprinkled on top and coconut cream on the side.
Wine match, 2015 Waipara Hills Waipara Valley Riesling
With bold flavours and richness, this Riesling is a winner this season.
The variety of fruit flavours combined with brightness of mint and richness of coconut cream will work beautifully with the Tahitian lime and mandarin characters of the Waipara Hills Riesling, balancing the sweetness of this dish with the acidity in the wine.