- 500g diamond shell clams
- 1 tbsp grapeseed oil
- 1 stick lemon grass, finely sliced
- 1 shallot, finely sliced
- 1 lime leaf, finely sliced
- 1 clove garlic, finely sliced
- 1 small knob ginger, finely sliced
- 150ml dry white wine
- 100ml coconut milk
- 12 Cloudy Bay tua tua clams, fresh
- 12 Kono flat oysters, live, shuck to order
- 1 whole small hapuka, filet to order and portion
- 1 whole cucumber, sliced into ribbons
- dried wakame cucumber, reconstituted in cold water
- sea parsley, sea lettuce or samphire, to garnish
Smash the diamond shell clams in a bowl to release all the amazing flavour.
Heat a saucepan over a medium heat and add the oil. Add the sliced vegetables and gently cook for a few minutes until soft and aromatic.
Add the wine, boil for 2 minutes then add the smashed clams and reserved juices. Just cover with water. Bring to the simmer and cook for a couple of minutes.
Add the coconut milk. Remove pan from the heat, cover and allow to infuse while you prepare the next stage. Pass through a fine mesh sieve to capture all the juices.
Heat a little of the civet juices and add the hapuka and tua tua clams. Allow the clams to open and the fish to just cook. Add the remaining ingredients and serve in warm bowls.