For the Chicken Tikka:
• 3 tablespoons of yoghurt
• 1 tablespoon of curry paste
• 1 teaspoon of garam masala
• 1/4 teaspoon of salt
• 1 tablespoon of vinegar
• 2 tablespoons of mild Kashmiri chilli paste (in a small bowl soak 3 to 4 dry Kashmiri chilli in boiling water, cover until softened. Then in a small grinder, blitz the chilli to make a smooth red paste)
• 1 tablespoon of oil
• 590 grams of diced chicken
For the Chicken Tikka Masala Sauce:
• 2-3 tablespoons oil
• 2 cardamom split open
• 1 medium onion diced finely
• 2-3 tablespoons of diced tomatoes
• Leftover chicken tikka marinade
• 1 tablespoon authentic original curry paste
• 3/4 tablespoon tomato puree
• 2 tablespoons cream
• 30gm butter
• 1/2 tablespoon garam masala
• Chopped coriander to garnish
In a bowl mix all the ingredients before adding the chicken pieces - ensure the chicken pieces are fully coated and then cover and leave in the fridge for 30 minutes minimum.
Then cook the chicken pieces on the BBQ / grill or you can also do this in the frying pan.
Heat 2-3 tablespoon of oil in a pan, adding the cardamoms and diced onion. Sauté until the onions are golden brown before stirring in diced tinned tomatoes, stirring on a high heat for 3-4 minutes.
Take the leftover chicken tikka marinade, adding curry paste and approx 5-6 tablespoons of hot water. Add this mix to the pan, continuously stirring so that it doesn’t stick to the base of the pan (add more water if you find this happening). Reduce the heat to low-medium.
Stir in three quarters of a tablespoon of tomato puree. Once you see the oil sizzling on the edges of the pan (approx 4-5 minutes) stir in half a cup of hot water.
Increase the heat until the sauce is simmering, before stirring in cream and butter.
The sauce is ready for the chicken tikka to be added now.
Let it simmer for 2-3 minutes on high heat before adding garam masala.
Take off the heat, add chopped coriander before serving with warm roti or naan and rice. Enjoy!
Find the video tutorial to this recipe here