Date & Herb Slaw
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 small cabbage, central stalk removed, cabbage thinly sliced
- 2 sticks celery, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 1 Tbsp bought mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp tahini
- 2 Tbsp plain unsweetened yoghurt
- 3 Tbsp each chopped mint, coriander (leaves and stalks) and parsley
- 100g fresh dates, pitted, sliced lengthways
- handful rocket leaves
- 6 free-range chicken thighs, skinned and boned
- seasoned flour, for dusting
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- large pinch chilli flakes
- oil for frying
- lemon wedges, for serving
Suggested wine match - 2013 Waipara Hills Equinox Chardonnay
From The Food Show 2015.
Date & Herb Slaw
Put the onion, lemon juice and a pinch of salt in a bowl. Mix well and reserve for 10 minutes until the onion softens. Place in a mixing bowl with the cabbage and celery.
Mix the mayonnaise, tahini and yoghurt and add to the cabbage mix.
Add the herbs rocket and dates and mix well. Taste and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Reserve.
Lie the chicken thighs on a clean surface and slit the thickest parts with a sharp knife, being careful not to cut right through. Beat the chicken thighs out gently with a meat hammer to a uniform thickness. Dust them with flour.
Mix the eggs, cumin cinnamon and chilli flakes and season with salt.
Heat 1cm oil in a frying pan over moderate heat. Dip the chicken in the egg mixture, let the excess drain and place in the pan. (Don’t crowd the pan, better to fry the chicken in batches, adding more oil to the pan if necessary and keeping warm until all done.) Fry for about 4 minutes on each side or until well browned.
Serve the chicken with the slaw on the side and lemon wedges for squeezing.