- Olive oil
- 6 - 7 chicken thighs, skinless
- 1 tsp cumin seeds, ground
- 1 Tbsp coriander seeds, ground
- 1 tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp cloves
- ½ tsp cardamom
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp powdered ginger
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 cup unsalted chicken stock
- 1 x 400g tin tomatoes, chopped in juice
- 1 large agria potato, peeled, chopped into small pieces
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped into small pieces
- ¾ cup prunes, chopped roughly
- 1 tsp honey
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup natural unsweetened yoghurt
- Fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Serve with fluffy couscous and top with a squeeze of lemon, a dollop of fresh yogurt and chopped fresh coriander. In a bowl, coat the chicken in 1 Tbsp olive oil then add all the ground spices and mix well to combine.
Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a large deep saucepan. Add the chicken pieces and cook for a few minutes each side until golden brown. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
Return the pan to medium-low heat, add another glug of olive oil then add onion, garlic, and ginger. Cook, stirring for 4-5 minutes. Add the chicken stock to the pan to deglaze it.
Add chicken and its juices back to pan along with tomatoes, potato, carrot, lemon zest, honey and prunes.
Simmer gently for 30 minutes until sauce has reduced and the chicken is cooked through, turning chicken pieces over every now and then. Taste and season with salt and pepper.