- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 large peeled potatoes, cut into 1cm dice
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1 tsp dried vegetable stock
- 3 cups hot water
- 300g can creamed corn
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh coriander (optional)
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- milled black pepper and pinch cayenne
- 3 Tbsp sour cream to finish (optional)
Suggested wine match - 2013 Waipara Hills Waipara Chardonnay
Served with a hunk of warm crusty bread, thick, hearty soup becomes a meal in itself.
Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat, add diced potatoes and onion, semi-cover with a lid. Cook and stir for 5 minutes or until potatoes start to stick and onion is tender.
Dissolve vegetable stock in water and add to the pot, scraping up any brown bits from the bottom of the saucepan. Stir in creamed corn and bring to a simmer. Turn heat down to low and simmer gently for 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
Season with a little milled pepper and a small pinch of cayenne (if using). Ladle into bowls and stir a little sour cream into each.
Cook's Tips - When limes are out of season, using the low-cost bottled variety is a great alternative.