- 1/2 cup good quality olive oil
- 2 small onions
- 8 cloves garlic
- 2 - 3 rashers bacon, rind removed, chopped
- 40g chopped potato
- 1L quality vegetable or chicken stock
- 1kg fresh broccoli (use stems if organic, remove if not as they have little flavour)
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground black pepper
- your favourite blue cheese, crumbled
- fresh chervil
Place olive oil in large heavy-based saucepan. Chop onions and garlic in a food processor. Sauté over slow heat until translucent, but not coloured. Do not rush this stage.
Add bacon and when cooked, add potatoes and cook for a few minutes while stirring. Add stock and cook until potatoes are tender. Add broccoli and simmer until just tender - no more or you will lose the great green colour.
Purée in a food processor then season. Serve.
Cook's Tips - To serve, crumble room temperature blue cheese over the top of the hot soup. Chopped fresh chervil is delicious as well but if that is not possible - chopped fresh parsley works a treat!
Soup always tastes better the next day - make ahead and if serving at a dinner party, use your beloved slow cooker. Heat up soup prior to guests' arrival and place in the warmed slow cooker - keep on high with the lid on and guests can help themselves.