- 160g dark palm sugar (this is the dark-coloured Malaysian variety called ‘Gula Melaka’), chopped or pounded
- 100ml water
- 2 bananas, sliced
- 2 mango cheeks, peeled and sliced thinly
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- zest of 1 lime
- 1 Tbsp coarsely chopped coriander, plus extra leaves for serving
- large pinch freshly ground black pepper
- pinch salt
- 2 Tbsp toasted long-strand desiccated coconut
- 400g thick yoghurt
- 200ml coconut cream
Suggested wine match - 2014 Soul by Waipara Hills Riesling
From The Food Show 2015.
Preheat the oven to 220°C.
Put the palm sugar into a saucepan with the water. Bring to the boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Remove from the heat, strain, cool and chill. This is the syrup.
Put the bananas, mango, lime juice, coriander, pepper, salt and coconut into a bowl. Mix well and reserve.
Put some of the yoghurt at the bottom of four bowls or glasses with a layer of coconut cream on top and some of the salad on top of that. Drizzle everything with the syrup, top with a coriander leaf lime zest and serve.