- 400g lean lamb leg steaks
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp cumin
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1½ cups orzo - cook in boiling salted water, then cool
- ½ red onion finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 10cm piece cucumber, peeled,deseeded and finely chopped
- 3 handfuls mint, roughly chopped
- 3 handfuls parsley, roughly chopped
- 1-2 ripe tomatoes, chopped
Combine the lemon juice, olive oil, cumin, garlic and oregano in a non-reactive container, add the lamb steaks and marinate for 20 minutes.
Heat a frying pan and when very hot, cook the lamb steaks 1 minute each side then reduce the heat and cook them a further 3 minutes each side.
During the final minute, add the balsamic vinegar and cook until reduced and thickened.
Remove the lamb and allow it to rest for 1-2 minutes before slicing thinly on the diagonal.
To assemble the salad, pour the reduced balsamic vinegar into the cooked orzo, add the chopped vegetables and herbs, and mix gently. Serve with the sliced lamb and juices drizzled on top.
Sophie says - This light and delicious pasta dish makes a little bit of chicken go a long way. I usually shred the cooked meat with two forks, which results in a delicate yet filling meal. Adjust the flavours to suit your own personal taste.