Kaipara Kumara have been growing kumara for over 50 years.
• Orange Kumara (Beauregard) has a rich orange flesh and is the sweetest of the 3 varieties. Try in a caramelised roast vege salad.
• Red Kumara (Owairaka) is the most recognised kumara in NZ with a distinctive red skin, a creamy white firm textured flesh.
• Gold kumara (Toka Toka) has a golden skin and flesh and a sweeter taste than red kumara. Try in a creamy chicken curry.
• Orange Sunset has an orange flesh with a purple fleck to it. A very soft flesh and when cut a white sugary sap appears.
• Kogenesengan is a Japanese variety that has a pale creamy white skin and flesh. They go well baked and make a great chip.
• Purple Dawn is a new variety of kumara with a purple skin and flesh. Not as sweet as other varieties and goes well in a roast kumara salad.
• Kokei is another Japanese variety that is red skinned and has a creamy white flesh. Much like our own Red kumara.