- 300g dried egg noodles or soba noodles, cooked
- according to packet instructions
- 3 whole star anise
- 2 spring onions, white parts trimmed and kept whole, greens thinly sliced, to garnish
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 tbsp finely grated fresh ginger
- 4 good-quality chicken sausages
- 4 heads bok choy or ¼ cabbage,thinly sliced
- 1 bunch coriander leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1 long red chilli, deseeded and thinly sliced
- finely grated zest of 1 lime and 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp black sesame seeds, to garnish
Place star anise, spring onion whites, stock and ginger in a large pot and simmer for 5 minutes. Squeeze small balls of sausage meat out of the skins and drop them into the simmering soup. Cook over a gentle heat for 2 minutes then lift out the spring onion and star anise and discard. Add bok choy or cabbage and bring back to a simmer. Mix in coriander, chilli, lime zest, oyster sauce, sesame oil and fish sauce. Adjust seasonings to taste.
Divide cooked, drained noodles between 4 heated bowls. Top with hot soup, lime juice, sesame seeds and reserved spring onion greens to serve.
Wine match: 2016 Waipara Hills Waipara Valley Gewurztraminer
Aromas: Rose water, spring flowers and orange peel.
Palate: Rich flavours of Turkish delight, Rose water and melon with a clean, lingering finish.
The Waipara Hills Gewurztraminer will complement the ginger, chilli and oyster sauce, balancing the sweet and saltiness you get from Asian flavours.